Looking for an amazing gluten free breakfast idea? This Easy Breakfast Quesadilla is perfect!
There’s nothing quite like the melted cheesy goodness of a Sausage, Egg and Cheese Quesadilla. It’s the perfect breakfast – a good quesadilla is definitely worth waking up for!
When my husband first came up with this recipe, I was a little skeptical….quesadillas for breakfast?! But like most of his recipe ideas, the flavors are perfect together!
These delicious sausage egg and cheese breakfast quesadillas are a favorite in our home.
Our kids request this tasty breakfast quesadilla all the time for the most important meal of the day.
I’ve written this recipe as a gluten free recipe, as my husband and I are both gluten free. However, if you don’t need to be on a gluten free diet, feel free to use normal flour tortillas in place of our gluten free ones!
Alright, let’s dive into this amazing sausage breakfast quesadilla recipe!
Ingredients needed for Easy Breakfast Quesadillas
For this gluten free breakfast recipe, you will need the following items:
- 12 Gluten Free Tortillas – we really enjoy the Trader Joe Almond Tortillas. We also have used GF Mission Almond Tortillas as well as Gluten Free Mission Tortillas
- 5 Eggs
- Cooking Spray
- 16 oz Jimmy Dean Sausage Roll – this is the absolute best sausage out there!
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pace Salsa – or use your favorite gluten free salsa!
- Optional: Sauteed Onions and Bell Peppers
How to make Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas
First, in a large skillet, brown your Jimmy Dean sausage. We cook the sausage on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until cooked through and there is no longer any pink.
Next crack your eggs into a small bowl. Stir the eggs until scrambled.
Heat a medium skillet on low heat. When it is hot, spray the pan with cooking spray and quickly add your eggs. Cook the eggs for about 2-3 minutes to your desired level of doneness. I like my eggs fairly dry. Then sprinkle with a dash of salt.
Now it’s time to make breakfast quesadillas!
We like to use a griddle for this. You can definitely use a pan on the stove, but we find the griddle can hold more and it makes the process go more quickly.
Heat the griddle to 350 degrees or medium-high heat. Spray it with non-stick spray. Then add your gluten free tortillas. We find that we fit about 4 at a time.
Next add some fluffy scrambled eggs to each quesadilla, followed by breakfast sausage, and then your choice of cheese.
If you have picky eaters, they might prefer mozzarella cheese, like my kids do….but my husband and I like cheddar cheese better!
It’s important not to over fill your quesadilla, so that it closes. (Mine were on the verge of too full!)
Fold over your quesadilla and allow it to cook on both sides until crispy.
Keep in mind that almond tortillas don’t change color much, so you won’t see a deep golden brown color on the side of the tortilla like you would with a gluten tortilla. Indicators of doneness are a crispy outside with melty cheese on the inside.
We like to serve these gluten free breakfast quesadillas with salsa and a sprig of cilantro. I absolutely recommend dunking your quesadilla into your favorite salsa – or better yet, your favorite homemade salsa!
More Options for the Best Breakfast Quesadillas
In the past, we have added sauteed red onion and green peppers to these quesadillas – which is absolutely delicious. Just cook your onions and peppers sauteed in a bit of oil before adding them to the quesadilla.
We’ve also added crispy bacon sometimes. I don’t recommend replacing the sausage with chopped bacon. I think the sausage is the real star of the dish.
You can also experiment with the type of cheese as well. You could try pepper jack, Monterey Jack, or any great melting cheeses.
Feel free to add additional options to your plate to jazz it up like your favorite toppings, a dollop of sour cream, or your favorite veggies like chopped green onion, jalapenos, or a tomato.
And that’s it! I hope you enjoy this amazing gluten free easy breakfast idea!
More Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
You can find more delicious and easy Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas on my blog.
These Gluten Free Breakfast Tostadas are another favorite at our house. Crispy corn tortillas are topped with eggs and all kinds of yummy toppings to create a one of a kind breakfast. It’s basically breakfast tacos! This is one of my favorite meals and it’s our go-to breakfast recipe when we have guest stay with us.
You can also find the Best Gluten Free Zucchini Bread here. This zucchini bread is so good – I serve it all the time to people who aren’t gluten free (and they devour the pan!) Plus, this article also contains several must-see tips and tricks that apply to all your gluten free baking.
Need Gluten Free Breakfast Inspiration? Here’s a Big List of Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas! You’ll find great quick options for busy mornings as well as unique breakfast food ideas to get you out of a rut!
Print the Easy Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe
Want to print this easy breakfast quesadilla recipe? There’s a printable recipe card below!
Sausage Egg & Cheese Breakfast Quesadilla
- 1 large frying pan
- 1 medium skillet
- 1 griddle
- 12 Gluten Free Tortillas – We really enjoy the Trader Joe Almond Tortillas. We also have used GF Mission Almond Tortillas as well as Gluten Free Mission Tortillas
- 5 eggs
- cooking spray
- 16 oz Jimmy Dean Sausage roll
- 3 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Mozzarella
- Dash Salt
- 1 jar Pace Salsa for serving
- Optional: Sauteed Onions and Peppers
- First, brown the Jimmy Dean sausage. Cook the sausage on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until cooked through and there is no longer any pink.
- Crack your eggs into a small bowl. Stir the eggs until scrambled.
- Heat a small frying pan on low heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray and quickly add your eggs. Cook the eggs to your desired level of doneness. Sprinkle with a dash of salt.
- Heat the griddle to 350 degrees. Spray it with non-stick spray. Add your gluten free tortillas.
- Next add scrambled eggs to each quesadilla, followed by sausage, and then your choice of cheese.
- Don't over fill your quesadilla, so that it closes. Fold over your quesadilla and allow it to cook on both sides until crispy.