This Best Breakfast Tostadas Recipe is soon to be your favorite breakfast! Bold statement = But Totally true.
There is something so amazing about the crispiness of the corn tortilla and the freshness of the toppings that makes this the perfect breakfast!
I have to give credit to my husband Jeremy for this recipe. He came up with it and it is by far, my all-time favorite breakfast.
It can be as easy, or as complex as you want to make it. You can add as many different toppings as you like such as bacon, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, jalapenos, green peppers, salsa…sky’s the limit!
Or you can go totally simple. It’s your choice!
Breakfast tostadas are great for people with allergies because they are naturally gluten-free and you can exclude any toppings that don’t work for your family.
Ok! Let’s get started on this easy Breakfast Tostada recipe!
Ingredients for Breakfast Tostadas:
- Corn tortillas (We usually make 2-3 per person)
- Oil for frying (any vegetable oil will do)
- Eggs – about 2 whole eggs per person
- Cooking spray
- Toppings: Your choice of cooked bacon, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, fresh cilantro, green onions, jalapenos, green peppers, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, lime juice, red onions, pico de gallo, etc.
How to Make Breakfast Tostadas
Start by heating about an inch of oil in a large stock pot on medium-high heat. Once it is hot enough, add your corn tortillas and cook until crisp.
It will take about 1-2 minutes per tortilla.
You will need to flip them halfway through. Remove the tortillas from the pan with tongs and place them on paper towels so that the extra oil soaks up and the tortillas remain crispy.
If you find that your tortillas are not crispy, you may need to turn up the heat. If they are burning quickly, turn down the heat just a bit.
Next, prepare the toppings. All of these are optional but I am of the opinion…the more the merrier!
Obviously I don’t use all of these at the same time, but here’s some suggestions:
- Crispy bacon
- Shredded Cheese (Cheddar is my favorite!)
- Fresh Tomatoes, diced
- Fresh Cilantro
- Green Onions, diced
- Green Peppers, diced
- Salsa (or pico de gallo)
- Red Onions
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- A splash of lime juice
As stated above, you pretty much add anything to these!
When I am making them for myself as a quick breakfast on a week day, I just do eggs, cheddar cheese, tomato and green onion…or whatever is in the fridge!
However, when we eat as a family on the weekend, we go big! We fry crispy bacon and add other fun toppings like salsa, avocado slices, red onions, and green peppers.
After your toppings are ready, heat a large frying pan for the eggs on low to medium heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray and add the eggs along with a pinch of salt if you like.
Cook the eggs for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through. I like scrambled eggs, but there’s no rules here, so do what you like!
If you like runny eggs, go for it. If you want sunny side up – do it!
Once you have everything ready, it’s time to assemble your tostadas! We tend to put everything on the table and let everyone make their own tostada from the array of toppings.
I usually start with the crispy tortilla, then add fried egg, cheese, and veggies!
And….that’s it! Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Breakfast Tostadas
I mentioned that I eat these as a quick breakfast sometimes…the trick is that you can fry the tortillas the night before. Simply place the fried tortillas in a large gallon size plastic bag or in plastic storage container.
Make sure they are well drained from the oil before storing. They keep for about 24-48 hours.
The other trick of the trade is that you can make multiple meals from this.
I like to fry a big batch of corn tortillas for our “Taco Tuesday.” We eat them as tacos/tostadas for supper with ground beef and black beans (or refried beans) and of course, all of our favorite taco toppings.
Then, we can have breakfast tostadas the next morning.
If you want super fast tostadas, you definitely can buy already fried tostada shell tortillas at the store. However, just like anything, the homemade version is WAY better!
Lastly, this Breakfast tostada recipe is a great way to feed a crowd. If you host brunch or have overnight guests, this is sure to delight!
I hope your family will enjoy breakfast tostadas in the near future!
Print the Breakfast Tostada Recipe:
To Print the Breakfast Tostadas Recipe Click the recipe card below:
Best Breakfast Tostadas Recipe (Gluten Free)
- 1 Stock Pot
- 18 Corn Tortillas (2-3 per person)
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 12 Whole eggs About 2 per person
- Cooking Spray
Toppings: Your choice of cooked bacon, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, fresh cilantro, green onions, jalapenos, green peppers, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, lime juice, red onions, pico de gallo, etc.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Once it is hot enough, add your corn tortillas and cook until crisp about 1-2 minutes per tortilla.
- You will need to flip them halfway through. Remove the tortillas from the pan with tongs and place them on paper towels so that the extra oil soaks up and the tortillas remain crispy.If you find that your tortillas are not crispy, you may need to turn up the heat. If they are burning quickly, turn down the heat just a bit.
- Next, prepare the toppings.Topping suggestions: Crispy bacon, Avocado, Shredded Cheese, Fresh Tomatoes, Fresh Cilantro Green Onions, diced Jalapenos Green Peppers, Salsa (or pico de gallo), Red Onions, Sour Cream, Hot Sauce, A splash of lime juice
- Heat a large frying pan for the eggs on low to medium heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray and add the eggs along with a pinch of salt if you like.
- Cook the eggs for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through. I like scrambled eggs, but there's no rules here, so do what you like!
- Once you have everything ready, it's time to assemble your tostadas! Lay the ingredients out "taco bar" style.I usually start with the crispy tortilla, then add scrambled eggs, cheese, and veggies! Enjoy!
More Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
Looking for more amazing Gluten Free Breakfast ideas? Don’t miss these Gluten Free Breakfast Quesadillas. Melty cheese combined with sausage and egg in a crispy tortilla makes an amazing breakfast the whole family will enjoy.
Also don’t miss this Gluten Free Zucchini Bread. No weird ingredients, this is as easy as gluten free baking gets! Plus this quick bread is so good no one will know it’s gluten free!
Plus don’t miss this big list of Gluten Free Breakfast ideas. So many delicious ideas!